Friday, July 16, 2010

touching the "untouchables"





Today was AMAZING. I have never met such beautiful people in my entire life. We first started out the day doing construction building the community center. It was sooo hot and I got a gnarly farmers tan :( After we finished the construction for the day we decided to stop at an old folks home in the leprosy colony. These people were just absolutely beautiful. Their spirits were amazing. We couldn’t understand one word out of each other’s mouths except for, Vanecum( Hello), Supere ( amazing, great job) Nawndry( Thank you). But even though we couldn’t understand what each other was saying we still communicated and it was amazing! They are so kind and so thin and have nothing and offered us their lunch and kept trying to get us to sit on the floor or their bed with them and eat the rest of the food. With these people you don’t need words to communicate or try to make them feel better. Just looking them in the eye hugging them, kissing their cheeks, kissing their hands and touching the “untouchables” and being with them is enough. I’m supposed to be there to help them, but it’s by far the other way around. It’s so humbling and refreshing. Their out look on life is just so positive and beautiful even though they have no family, no money, no cool air, no clean water and hardly any food. People act as though they don’t even exist. It’s absolutely disgusting. These people are people and beautiful ones to say the least. I’m so greatful that I was so blessed to even be in these peoples presence. Materialistic things just seem so worldly and silly to me after being here. I walked in to the woman side of the old folks home and asked this old lady if I could sit with her and she knocked me off my feet, literally haha. She said something in Indian and yanked my arm and I fell on her bed hahaha then I gave her a hug and she squeezed me sooooo tight and squeezed my sun burn hahaha it hurt so bad but it was so sweet! Then she smacked my cheeks really hard then squeezed my face together then put her fists to her head and cracked all of her knuckles which apparently they said is a way of telling someone they are beautiful and that they are blessing them. Hahahaha. I took a picture with this old man and he was so cute he was like WAIT!! and turns around and puts on his sun glasses that remind me of like a pair of Hot Wheels sunglasses out of a cereal box. Hahahaha it was rad. An old man today told me that he will pray for me forever and ever and that starting today he was going to say 5 prayers for me. Hahaha it was so cute! I wish I could take all of the Indian people home with me in my suit cases. I live for helping these people. It is the best feeling ever and I recommend that everyone should do something like this because it will change your life no doubt, forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment