Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Once you see, you own the responsibility to do

Today I went into the colony and I swear the driver was the dumbest person EVER haha but in a good way I guess. It took us two hours to get to a Colony 45 minutes away and then it took us like a bagillion minutes to park the van because there was a motorcycle in the way then a random pole then a rock and he kept driving into on coming traffic and I for sure thought god was taking me home for a second hahah I was closing my eyes the whole time it was so scary! At the colony I walked around and all these random kids started running up to me and jumping on me it was so cute and they were all running around in their underwear hahah. I had the pleasure of washing this poor ladie’s legs. She had no feet or hands and no wheel chair to get around. Her son would pick her up and move her wherever she had to go. I brought her a chair because they set her on the floor and that would be nuts if she just sat in the dirt in pain. She would cry every time her son would pick her up because of the pain it was so sad. When I washed her feet I had no idea she had a big ulcer underneath her foot and the leprosy moved into her bone so she was sensitive just to the touch and I just started washing and she started crying and she pointed to underneath her foot. I felt SO horrible you have no idea. Her son then moved her over to get bandaged and the nurse got scissors and started cutting the calluses off of her foot and she was crying, crying so I came over to hold her hand and she blessed me by putting a cross over my forehead and giving me kisses. She was the sweetest ever. After washing I started walking around with the kids and they brought me into their homes. They were literally shacks and they slept on the dirt floor. I introduced myself to their entire families and they were so excited they kept asking for pictures of me with their family. I was just excited as they were ☺ These people are amazing. I saw this lady pumping water from the well and I asked her if I could pump the water for her and she said No, no, no, but I didn’t take no for an answer and I pushed her aside and pumped her water. OH MY GOSH it is such an awesome workout I had no idea! We need water pumps in America instead of having sinks and fridges and water bottles. She was so grateful after just for me doing the smallest thing ever. These people are the greatest. Tonight at the hostel I played jump rope with the girls and tossed paper airplanes with the boys. It was awesome. Then we had dinner on the roof and watched a lightning storm like every night. My favorite part of the night by far. Then we went with our groups and played with the girls and put them to bed but tonight they put me to bed. I was showing them how my Mommy always lightly scratches my arm and it makes me super sleep, so I started lightly scratching their arms and they were all lined up saying Auntie my turn!! So they all started yawning and getting sleepy and made me get super sleepy. I layed by all of them spread eagle on the cement. Then two of them on each arm started scratching my arms super soft and said you go to sleep Auntie then one little girl was scratching my feet hahaha it was the sweetest thing ever. I fell asleep and the house mother Sarah Swatee saw and thought that I passed out I think but she freaked out and was like ASHLEY ASHLEY!!! WHATS WRONG!?! And It scared the heck out of me and I was like no nothing im just tired hahah and she’s like get up you lay in my bed and I lay on the floor! It was so cute but I would never make her sleep on the cement. These people just want to give you everything of the little they have. Its beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog! I "stalk" it all the time. I can't wait for you to come to Utah and visit your favorite sister and your favorite person named Gretchen!! We love you, pray for you, and am amazed at this life changing experience! You are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete